Today marks an important day for me in my journey to optimal health. My journey started at 199 lbs (I would NOT let myself see the big 200!). My original goal was simply to lose weight. That goal has not only been attained BUT I learned that weight loss shouldn't be the primary goal. Instead it should be a strong and healthy body (here's to optimal health!!). So today I officially reached 40 lbs lost. It took 8 months to get here. I've been saying I lost 40 lbs for over a month now. But really I was off by 1-3 lbs, depending on what time of day and whether I'd eaten ice cream or not! I can't tell you how frustrating it has been to be 1 lb from your target for over 1 month and just not able to hit it.
On this journey I've spent a lot of time praying. When I get stuck or frustrated, or just can't give up a certain type of food...I take it to the Lord. It seems like every time I've laid it out before Him, He's been faithful to get me past and onto my next goal. So this past week I again went to the Lord and shared my frustrations. Through that time with Him I began to re-evaluate what I've been doing differently. And I also came to realize I have been victorious this past month in maintaining one weight (depending on the time of day and...yep, the whole ice cream thing again!) and that when I eat 100% clean I will maintain a steady weight. No more yo-yos! That really was huge for me.
This past month I also lost my craving for ice cream. (WHAT!) I know - I'm pretty shocked myself. My tastes continue to evolve and I find I'm no longer desiring things that I previously couldn't live without. The "secret sugars" I was still inviting into my diet. Those would include Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream (made with all whole foods) and Fresh & Easy vanilla Greek yogurt.
This week I officially:
- reached 40 lbs weight loss
- stopped eating ice cream (I'm sure I'll still enjoy on occasion)
- made the leap from Greek yogurt with sugar to Greek yogurt without sugar!!!
- began eating a lot more raw snacks AND find them satisfying!
- drinking 66 oz of water a day (3 of my big Tervis tumblers!), one as soon as I wake up in the morning
- drinking 1 glass of 1/2 squeezed lemon and 1 tbsp maple syrup then filling the rest of the glass up with ice water, also first thing in the morning
- drinking 2 raw green smoothies a day, 22 oz each (I had cut back to 1 and then was sharing that one with the kids. It's amazing what a difference the smoothie makes!)
- at the gym I'd cut out all core exercises (not sure why...other than I have been sick the past two weeks and before that...laziness??). So I added two main ones back into my daily routine.
Have you reached a health goal that you're dying to "shout out" to the world? Go ahead and share and let us cheer you on!