Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Amazing Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

I've tried dozens of pancake recipes over the past year, trying to come up with just the perfect one for my family.  I've found some decent ones but ususally there's something wrong... a strange smell... they're too heavy...or they just plain taste wierd.

I'd been using this recipe by Chocolate Covered Katie for awhile but the kids hated it and it had a strange smell.  I'm honestly not sure why but I think it might have been the whole wheat flour that I was using.  A few weeks ago I took this recipe and changed it a teeny tiny bit but what a HUGE difference it made.  I made them again this morning and the kids were RAVING... "Mom, you're the BEST COOK!" "These are the best pancakes EVER." etc...  I had to agree...they really were fabulous!  It only took a year to come up with something that would get as good of reviews as Aunt Jemima.  I feel like I can finally sit back and say "Job Done!"

Here it is...my edited version of Katie's blueberry pancakes.

Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1/3 cup + 2 T oat flour (just put the oats in a blender/grinder and blend into powder)
  • 2 overflowing tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp pure vanilla
  • 2 T maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups almond milk
  • rind of one lemon
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • several handfuls of blueberries
Directions:

I tossed all the ingredients except the blueberries into my blender and blended until it was a smooth mixture, but you can also mix by hand.  Gently add blueberries.  Coat the frying pan/griddle with coconut oil and cook.  Because of the lemon and the spelt flour, these come out light and fluffy.  If you don't like lemon, replace lemon with 2 tsp cinnamon.

Enjoy!

**Note: Spelt Flour is not gluten-free


No comments:

Post a Comment