Friday, January 20, 2012

Samer's Hummus Recipe

I've received quite a few requests for recipes so I decided to re-post this most requested one (my friend Samer's hummus recipe).  I'm also making it a little easier to find recipes by posting links on my "Recipes" page to all previous recipes in my blog, by title.  You can always type in "recipe" into the search bar also to pull up any blog that uses that word.

I wanted to thank all the new people who have become members of my blog on Google.  It's fun to see new faces on there!  I'd really like to get my Feedburner numbers up, so if you haven't subscribed to my blog via email, please take about 30 seconds to do that.  To the right of the screen you'll see the words "follow by email".  Just type in your email and hit submit.  Then you will need to go to your email and verify your subscription in the link that Feedburner will send you.  You'll automatically receive each updated posting straight to your email from that point on!
Super easy and thank you in advance!

On to the recipe...  Samer's Hummus recipe is the best I've made...and I've tried plenty!  I was so grateful when he shared this with me and allowed me to put in on my blog.  I has been my most requested recipe to re-post so here you are!

Samer's Hummus


This is how it looked when Samer made it. 


Ingredients

*2 15oz cans of Kuner's Garbonzo beans (no salt added)

1/2 tablespoon of salt

1 tablespoon of garlic powder

1/4 cup olive oil

1 cup of Tahini (I found it at Fresh & Easy...Samer gets it from Middle Eastern markets)

1/3 cup of lemon juice (approx the juice of 2 med lemons)

1/4 cup of water (if desired...I needed it)

Directions:

Empty cans into food processor or blender, 2/3rds drained. You need the liquid in there so the beans don't stick to the sides.  If cooking your own beans, add water or it will really clog your machine.

Add the salt and garlic powder and turn on the processor/blender.

Keep an eye on it and make sure the beans are moving and not sticking to side. If they are, add just a little bit of water to keep it going. Let run for 2 minutes or until the beans look less and less grainy...

While it's still running, add the olive oil, tahini and lemon juice

Let run until desired smoothness. You can add more of any of the ingredients to desired taste. I've discovered if one of the ingredients' flavor is overpowering, adding some water or tahini helps balance it out.  The longer you let the processor run, the smoother the texture will be.

Plate, and decorate with fresh chives, tomatoes, paprika, and cumin powders. Drizzle olive oil on top.
My notes:* I used dry beans, soaked them for 24 hrs and then boiled for 1 hr.  Make sure the pot is full of water because it will boil out by the end.  This is supposed to be a money saver however when it heats my house and I'm paying for AC to cool it down and it's 108 outside...I'm thinking go with the canned beans.  In the winter though...great way to warm up the house and add humidity!  I used about 2 cups cooked beans.

Serving suggestions:  Serve for dinner, as a dip for a party, appetizer, etc...  Dip chips, pita bread, crackers, pizza crust (my method of choice tonight!), or cut veggies such as green/red bell peppers, carrots, celery, etc...






No comments:

Post a Comment