Friday, August 26, 2011

Naturally Sweet Surprises

Hello!  Welcome to Naturally Sweet Surprises.  This blog will be about my journey to find health.  Along the way I'll share parts of my story and how I came to be in this place.  My hope is that by sharing where I've been and the things I've learned along the way, that others might be encouraged to start living life healthier as well.  I use the word "Journey" because making the choice to eat healthier does not happen overnight, nor will the weight fall off or the habits changes quickly.  All of that takes time...it's a journey.

I have chosen to title my blog Naturally Sweet Surprises for several reasons.  

Naturally!  Natural foods are God's perfect plan for mankind.  The Garden of Eden was fully stocked with whole, raw foods that provided 100% perfect nutrition for its inhabitants.  It was natural.  The Natural part of my title gives all the glory and honor to the One who designed whole foods for our consumption.  Most of the foods that line our grocery store aisles are processed and packed full of chemicals.  Nothing is natural about them...not the smells, colors or ingredients.  They are full of chemicals that cause addictions and toxins that make us sick.  They are poison.  Part of my journey has been to choose to eat naturally, as God originally intended, and say no to those tempting poisons.

Sweet! Oh how I love sweets!  I've long joked that sugar is my drug.  I could breathe it in and it would make me happy.  I had no idea how true a statement that was until I decided to stop eating sugar.  The reaction in my body was the same as a person coming off drugs.  I had such bad detox symptoms that I had to go back ON sugar!  And then slowly start taking it out of my diet.  But God made naturally sweet foods and it has been so fun to start discovering other foods that satisfy my sweet tooth but are still healthy.

Surprises!  Wow - this whole journey has been a surprise!  If you know me, you know that I'm the instigator.  I'm the one encouraging others to eat bad because I am SO addicted to bad foods that I don't want to be the only one eating it (and looking like I'm eating it!) and feeling guilty.  What a surprise for ME to be the one turning to healthy whole foods.  What a surprise that I'm liking it!  What a suprise that I've lost weight, have more energy and am healthier than I've ever been!  What a surprise how many people are now asking ME to blog my journey, asking me for tips and advice.  What a surprise that healthy foods can taste GOOD! 

This journey has been one full of trials and errors.  I tend to learn things the hard way.  But if I can make your journey a little smoother, I'm so happy to have stumbled a bit in advance of you.  Many thanks to Klicken Photography for the photo I am using that so beautifully depicts the journey.  I love the carefree abandon of those feet as they run through the sand.  May your journey be as freeing.

Amy

3 comments:

  1. So excited to go on this journey with you! Congratulations on the blog and best of luck as you strive for better health and a better life. I'm behind you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Danielle! I've enjoyed all the conversations we've had over the past months. You've given me so much to think about! I really appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go Amy, you look terrific! and you are inspiring!
    -Bo

    ReplyDelete